Sunday, May 23, 2004

Kruger National Park

So I just returned from a weekend in Kruger National Park, South Africa. I had to go to South Africa to get a new visa anyway, so we decided to make a trip of it. Kruger is right by the Mozambique-South Africa border so it was very easy. We saw lots of elephants and giraffes, some zebra, a few hippos, lots and lots of gazelle, impalas and kudus, but no lions, rhinos or leopards--this time. Very weird and cool to be so close to such big animals.

I am pretty much settled in. The team house still has basically everything we need, but it is noticeably rougher living. We now have a hot water heater, so morning showers have helped me in establishing a routine. Right next door is a park, and as I went out to sit on a swing I was very soon surrounded by children. They knew no English, so we had to communicate by Portuguese. They definitely know more than me, but I'm not sure how fluent they are since it's something they learn in school. Evenings are long but I've so far kept myself quite entertained with reading, learning Portuguese, playing guitar and singing, and doing some art. I've been really appreciating hymns lately, and am starting to memorize some favorites.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home