Thursday, April 29, 2004

Around Maputo

Last night we went to the Polana, the ritziest hotel in Maputo, for coffee. We just sat and talked over dessert, and then we walked out by the pool, and looked over the edge of a cliff out at the Indian Ocean. It was dark, but I was just pinching myself and saying "Wow. I am at a fancy hotel, looking out at the INDIAN Ocean! Can I believe my luck?"

The currency here is the metical, plural meticais, pronounced "meticash", and there are almost 25,000 of them to the dollar. This poses interesting problems: 1)I have to practice the Portuguese words for "One million, eight hundred forty-two thousand, five hundred MT (meticais)"-- you know in language classes they only spend like five minutes on those big numbers! 2)I have to exercise different mental math muscles-- quick, what's 1.2 million divided by 25,000? or 500 times 500,000?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home