Thursday, May 06, 2004

In Canicado

Note: Canicado=Guija. It's called both, and Guija's shorter. I'm going out there tomorrow.
So I went out to Canicado last weekend. I took pictures with my digital camera, hoping to give you a visual image of where I'm living, but I just now found out that apparently I brought the cable for my printer instead of for my camera. Oops :-{

Guija is 3 hours on a paved road from Maputo. At Chokwe there used to be a bridge across the Limpopo (which is maybe 200 ft across) to Guija, but it was destroyed as a defense during the civil war to protect the refugee camp (that's how Chokwe started) from the army advancing from the north. So you either take a very quick boat ride, or drive west to the next bridge, and then 22 kilometers back to Guija on a very bumpy dirt road that is undriveable in the rain. That last 22km adds on an extra hour. On the way, you pass what I guess I would call traditional African villages and compounds, complete with mud and thatch huts and everything. Guija has modern buildings and a paved road-- the one that used to run all the way to Maputo-- but it is a strange little town because it is now so isolated. After driving an hour through very rural territory, we all of a sudden came to Guija, turning out of what felt like a driveway on to the main road running through the town. The native language throughout the Gaza province is called Changana.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home