Sunday, April 04, 2004

Thinking about travel

Just one thought so far: Traveling across the world by plane is an interestingly gradual way of being introduced into another world. Starting in the airport is pretty much American culture, with a touch of international flavor because I checked in at the int'l desk. In Atlanta, waiting for the flight to Johannesburg, I was in America but with a whole bunch of Africans. This was even more the case in the South African airport and on the flight to Maputo, but yet still the whole thing was in a familiar, Western context. And now of course I'm here and I remember, oh yeah I'm in a different country. And I'll be here tomorrow, and the day after that, and the day after that.... It hasn't really sunk in yet. The last month and a half has been a bit too surreal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home