Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Coming Home. To sleep.

So the time for going home for Christmas has finally arrived. Almost. Oddly, 3 separate people have referred to the time left as "sleeps". ie, "Oh, you have only 1 sleep left in Guija!" My response: "That's pretty optimistic." In the past month or two, I can count the number of sleeps on one hand. Yesterday I woke up later than usual (6:30) after 3 hours of sleep that felt so good that I bounced around all morning. I said to every expat at least twice-- "hey, I slept!" I have some theories on why I haven't been able to sleep, but none that make sense. But here's hoping that I'll be able to sleep at home, though I'm worried about the combination of factors-- time zones, adjustment to new surroundings, excitement, and sheer exhaustion.

Things on sticks. And other humorous road stories.

I've never forgotten the question of what do I find humorous here. I think it's a good one just because I like to find humor in everything. Even things I'm not supposed to find any humor in, which makes me irreverent I guess, but oh well. Anyway, I think of things and then have been horribly remiss at writing them down for you. But here's one I think of every time I drive between our home and Maputo.

It's amazing the number and the variety of things sticking up in the air. Just on the side of the road, paying attention for a bit, a person can see the following, randomly stuck on sticks: old gas cans, tires, cashews, and plastic lawn chairs (and some look almost sittable). For no explainable reason and with nothing else around. Road, grass, stick in the ground with a jerry can. Or four sticks with a lawn chair suspended between, 6 feet in the air. All I have to say is: ????

Which reminds me of another travelling laugh: the road sign "!". Apparently this sign is in other places besides South Africa (Moz doesn't really have road signs), but we have to ask ourselves, "what does this MEAN?" No one really knows, but whatever it is they must mean it pretty strongly, is all I can figure. I have a habit of randomly walking up to a person and stamping my foot, which I feel is the physical equivalent to that road sign.

And while I'm at it, here's one more funny thing about Mozambican travelling, though this time I'm the one on the side of the road. Every once in a while, I am caught watching a chapa as I wait for it to pass and make eye contact with the person hanging out the window. And without fail, they swivel their head to watch me as they go by, which can't help but remind me of the way dogs stick their heads out windows. The first several times this happened I thought they (and it's always a young male) had stuck their head out the window just to gawk at me. But then I started to figure they couldn't possibly have wriggled out that fast (although I do stand out from quite a long distance, so who knows).

I started to then conclude that the 'out the window' spot (which is an extra 'seat,' in addition to the window seat) is probably preferable to any of the other 20 seats in the chapa. Maybe even despite the flies, dust and possbile branches. Maybe (I hope) they know better than to stick out on the right side of the chapa, meeting oncoming traffic-- that would definitely be a hazard to one's health. Or at least the head. But anyway, here I am rambling about heads and chapas, how odd. Maybe that's what happens when one is deprived of sleep for too long. But at least it's not more chickens, you say.

But I do have a story somewhat related to chickens. And roads yet again, come to think of it. The other day Paul and I were commenting on the heat (47 degrees C in the sun), using the common expression. And then it occurred to both of us that we should just see. So we got an egg, and cracked it on the road. My biggest question: why have I never done this before? Why do we always talk about it, and never take action? An egg is only what, 30 cents? Amazingly, no chapas came for quite a while, and we stood there staring at the road and one very uncomfortable egg, drawing no little amount of bemused attention-- 'those crazy mulungus.' The egg got very runny, and eventually did congeal some, but the sun had gone behind a cloud just as we cracked it. We'll try it some other day, a hotter day and maybe at noon.

So long for now. and maybe I'll be seeing you soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Like other search engines,searchingbrain searches the keywords from the world wide web.Searchingbrains

4:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home